Wednesday, August 15, 2012

End of Summer




Less than a week now until I am back to work. No matter how old I am, the end of summer is always a sad thing. I know plenty of women who are such busy people that they need a routine and get bored with summer. I, on the other hand, am really okay with doing nothing. I can thoroughly enjoy a day of sitting on my porch and watching the cars go by. Retirement will be really fantastic for me, but I am still a good 30 years away from that!

As a kid, summers were spent swimming at the country club then coming home and watching old tv shows on Nick at Night! There was no knowledge of time, no schedule, no worries. It clearly is what shaped my resistance to a being busy as an adult. One particular summer when I was probably around 10 or 11, my mom and I would watch tv and do puzzles until pretty late. I remember the line up was Diagnosis Murder, Father Dowling Investigates, and Third Rock from the Sun. When it came time to go back to school, I remember missing that time with my mom. I remember dreading going back to school because I didn't want our togetherness to end.

As an adult, I'm feeling that again! I have had such a fabulous summer with my girl, that I don't want that time to end. It's so silly that I am feeling this way, as we have plenty of fun during the school year. I guess I am just a sucker for the freedom that summer provides.

While the pool and beach will be closed, there will still be plenty of time for exactly what I love:

front porch sitting

reading

and plenty of togetherness



No comments:

Post a Comment